Sir Charles Mark Palmer was a local industrialist MP and is believed to have been resident of Whitley now known as Whitley Bay in or about 1865. He resided at a Whitley Park a large mansion, which was situated near to the sea front. The mansion has since been demolished but a small length of the perimeter wall can still be seen next to the Whitley Bay library.